Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Doomsday Book, Connie Willis


I love, love, love a bit of fiction with history and Doomsday Book with time travel from the twentieth century to 1348 The Middle Ages, the time of the black plague, sounded right up my alley. Bells ring you in and out of the changes from past to present and it takes a good author to pull this off because by the end of the book I wanted to yell "Someone shut off the damn bells!". Really enjoyed this book and when it really got going around the middle I stayed up way past my bedtime reading. You know...just one more chapter. Great characters. At times I got frustrated with the colleagues, educated no less, who just don't cooperate and thought that was a little far fetched until I remembered my own work place. In a future that was able to time travel they seemed a little behind the times on the communications/electronics side but then when I thought about it Connie Willis released this in 1992 and even then I don't think we ever thought everyone in 10 years would be walking around with phone stuck to their ears. I think not having all the future gadgetry elaborated on allowed the human spirit to shine through. Which it does. I have a feeling I will be thinking about this book for a long while!

No comments:

Post a Comment