Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Looking Glass Wars

The subtitle to this book caught my eye "Fantasy just declared war on reality." How could I pass it up? I enjoyed this book and I'm not a huge fan of the classic "Alice in Wonderland" so if you don't like it when people mess around with the classic's this may not be for you. Personally I loved the characters redone in a brilliant new way. Fantasy game players will love it, I think. The artwork is fantastic. I've heard a movie is coming so along with Tim Burton's remake, just like we went through a series of pirate themes, we'll have a year of Alyss and Alice. All the classic characters are here but with a new twist. My only dislike is when writers pronounce sound noises. Then I start to feel like I'm reading a preschool book. Ok yes, this was in the young adult section but I think even "young adults" would give you a scowling look of utter contempt if you did this to them. Like I said I made the mistake of entering the http://www.cardsoldierwars.com website and if you don't have ooodels of time to devote to this game don't do it. The work the developers have put into the cardsoldierwars.com is amazing especially considering you play for free. From what I understand it's not complete yet - still more to come. There is no shortage of very helpful gamers on the site to help you along (tell "RedKnight", Mishski says hello) and being as in depth as it is you'll need it. I'm going to wean myself off while I continue on to read the sequel "Seeing Redd" it's just taking up way to much time. I just want to get inside a portal...
Oh yeah back to the book...it's an easy read, quick, no complex words you'll need a dictionary for. The writing is more like a quick screenplay. Just a little light entertainment with a dark twist and lots of Pop! Zzzz! and Krrrrrkkkkchsss! Hissszzzzll! Krrrch! Zzzzssszz! Enough already please just say "crackled and smoldered".

No comments:

Post a Comment