Wednesday, August 5, 2009

If you had to recommend just one book....

A friend lent me her pride and joy James Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany" as she said her favorite book of all time. This got me to wondering...of all the countless books I've read...some memorable...some...well? I'm sorry can't remember them...if you had to recommend one book to someone as a must read. What book would it be?

For me its "Alive" by Piers Paul Read. I read this book back when I was in the sixth grade. I think of it as my graduating book from the young adult section to adult section of the book store. "Alive" got me forever hooked on reading. Period. Thirty years later I still think about it. Have never forgotten it. A book about cannibalism? No for me it wasn't about that at all. The fact that it was a true story of survivors, a rugby team, friends and families, after a plane crash in the Andes with human spirit and endurance I couldn't even imagine made a huge impact on my young mind. If your not a reader the movie didn't disappoint and actually followed the book closely and intensely. Including the actual crash at the beginning. A must read that I think will leave you wondering what choices you would make given the same situation.

3 comments:

  1. The Princess Bride, yo. The only people who do not love this book are people who have not read it. It is all kinds of fun for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm big on reading the classics but I know that most of them don't appeal to a wide circle of people. The book I do always recommend is "Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett. Just so beautifully written, great characters, and an incredible story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on "The Princess Bride" loved it.
    "Bel Canto" I'm going to add to my list of books to read because I haven't and if someone recommends a book as their "must read" its got to be worth the time!

    ReplyDelete